HK to close more checkpoints for virus control
Hong Kong will close five more immigration checkpoints at the border with the Chinese mainland starting from Feb 4, in an attempt to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus which originated in Wuhan of Central China's Hubei province.
Only three checkpoints – Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge and Shenzhen Bay – will remain open starting from Tuesday.
Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor announced the new arrangement on Monday afternoon. The government had earlier closed six of the 14 checkpoints.
At a press conference, Lam said that the government would continue to prioritize the needs of front line medical staff and guarantee them sufficient supply of protective gears, including face masks.
Lam's pledge came amid a strike by some doctors and nurses on Monday.
In addition, Lam called on Hong Kong residents to unite behind the government in containing the threat of a local outbreak and refrain from blocking the requisition of buildings for quarantine purpose.
Those who ignore public interest and resort to extreme measures to threaten the government will not succeed, said Lam.
blog comments powered by