Former Interpol chief jailed for taking bribes
Meng Hongwei, former vice-minister of public security and former Interpol chief, was sentenced to 13 years and 6 months in prison and fined 2 million yuan ($289,800) for taking bribes on Tuesday.
Meng pleaded guilty in Tianjin First Intermediate People's Court and said he would not lodge an appeal.
The court said Meng used his positions as a member of the ministry's Party committee, vice-minister of public security and director of China Coast Guard to obtain benefits for enterprises and individuals in business matters and job promotions.
He took advantage of the positions to seek improper benefits for others and illegally accepted gifts and property worth more than 14.46 million yuan, the court added.
The court said Meng's actions constituted the crime of bribery and should be punished according to law.
It added that the judgment took into Meng's guilty plea into account and the fact he had voluntarily confessed to majority of the crime facts that had yet been grasped by investigators.
Meng was put under investigation by China's graft watchdogs in October 2018 for violation of Party discipline and State laws. He became vice-minister of public security in 2004 and also served as president of Interpol from 2016 to 2018.
In March last year, after the watchdogs said Meng had abused his powers and used public positions for personal gain, he was expelled from the Party and dismissed from his public positions.
blog comments powered by